Well, Joe Dolson tagged me and now I must spill my guts — 5 feet worth anyway. I am supposed to share with you five things you probably don’t know about me. And based on the good stuff Joe offered, I’m not supposed to share just any old crap, but to provide some good stuff as well. I don’t know how good this will be, but here goes.
- I was smart in school and could do well with tests, but my grades were lousy. I was bored, didn’t care, and never did any homework. I preferred to party. In 1978, at the beginning of my junior year, I was expelled from high school permanently when I was caught smoking dope in the girls’ bathroom with some friends (they were girls). I quickly got my GED or high school equivalency certificate and started my adult life a year early as a result.
- I joined the USAF and enrolled in the Community College of the Air Force. In doing so I was able to take free CLEP tests. I aced several of the tests: technical writing, English, biology and natural sciences but never bothered getting a degree. All I need is one math course but I don’t like math. I do well and have never been compelled to reach for that piece of paper.
- I’ve been to every state in the United States except Oregon and Washington state. I have actually lived in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Florida, California, Utah, Colorado, Texas, and Mississippi. I have have visited Germany, Mexico, and Canada, and actually lived in Japan and Italy.
- I knelt before two people as they shared a needle in Padova (Padua) Italy. They injected each other’s blood rinsing the heroin from the syringe. I was stunned. Next to me a friend was snorting heroin and asked me if I wanted to try it. I asked what it’d do to me. He told me that as a first-timer I’d probably puke. I told him no thanks. That was a close call. Had I made a different decision I might not be here today.
- When I was eleven I threw a rock way up in a tree hoping to scare a squirrel. I hit the squirrel broadside and knocked him out of the tree. He was hurt but took off. I felt so guilty I cried. I have a great deal of respect for animals. I will never forget how I felt.
Well, that wasn’t so bad. Now I’m supposed to tag five people in meme fashion taking Joe’s lead. I guess I need to tag people who actively blog and so I hereby tag Roger Johansson, Karl Dawson, Todd Sieling, Dan Champion, and just because I’m curious, Jeffrey Zeldman. Narrowing this down to five people was next to impossible, I’d like to add about 50 more but I tried to at least mix it up a bit.