I don’t usually go for doing the meme thing, but with so many around me partaking in this one — Stephen, Jack, Gill — I decided to be a lemming today and leap off the cliff with the others. In this meme I have to name three events, two births, one death, and one holiday that occur/occurred on my May 15th birthday. I also added one unofficial prehistoric event and one future prediction… to spice things up a bit. Here goes:
One Prehistoric May 15th Event
- Unofficial: On or around May 15th, 8000 BC, a hairy fellow named “Grog” invents the wheel. The axle isn’t invented for another 4-5000 years.
Three May 15th Events
- 1905 - Las Vegas, Nevada, is founded when 110 acres (0.4 km2), in what later would become downtown, are auctioned off.
- 1940 - Nylon stockings go on sale for the first time in the United States. (Silk worms rejoice.)
- 1941 - Baseball player Joe DiMaggio starts his record-breaking 56-game hitting streak.
Two May 15th Births
- 1859 - Pierre Curie, French physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1906).
- 1969 - Emmitt Smith, American football player.
One May 15th Death
- 2003 - George Francis, British gangster (b. 1940).
One May 15th Holiday
- United States - Peace Officers Memorial Day (established in 1961).
One May 15th Prediction
- 2045 - Last drop of oil is consumed by Mrs. Margaret Smith’s SUV. Coincidentally, the United States pulls out of Iraq later on that day. But it doesn’t really matter since a global-killer asteroid hits us that evening. Only cockroaches are able to shrug it off.